The last week before the holidays can make kids and teachers pretty antsy. I’ve never liked going into “filler” mode so I try to find fun, but meaningful activities for that last week. If you’re able to use Christmas activities in the classroom, this 12 Days of Christmas Math Activities pack allows you to get a little fun and festive while also continuing to review important 5th Grade math skills.
The 6 activities included can be used to assess where your students are in terms of mastery and which skills need to be revisited before and/or after the break.
The entire premise of the resource is the 12 Days of Christmas. There are 3 sets of task cards to practice 3 of the skills. There is also a page of images of the 12 Days of Christmas characters, each with a price attached to them. The prices of the items will be used in the other 3 activities (rounding, subtracting, and dividing decimals).
A printable and digital version is available to accommodate classes learning both in person and virtually.
- 5.OA.2 Writing Expressions (task cards)
- 5.NBT. 4 Rounding Decimals (one reference page)
- 5.NBT.7 Adding Decimals (task cards)
- 5.NBT.7. Subtracting Decimals (one reference page)
- 5.NBT.7 Dividing Decimals (one reference page)
- Multiplying Whole Numbers (task cards)
Tips for Use:
- Centers: place each activity at a group of desks and have a group work on a different activity each day
- One Per Day: choose a different activity to have the entire class do each day
- Distance Learning: Assign the activities to students via Google Classroom to complete at home
- Digital Centers: print out some of the activities and assign others on Google Classroom so that students can get practice using their devices as well as using old fashioned paper and pencil and get them moving around with task cards.
Make that last week or two before the break a fun, but productive one!