If you're getting ready to head back to school, you probably know that the first 9 weeks of school can be OVERWHELMING. You're busy setting up your classroom, establishing routines, and getting to know your class. To make planning a little bit easier, I'm sharing my top 9 fifth grade math resources for the first 9 weeks of the school year. They're sure to help make your back to school planning a lot easier!
Before I even begin, make sure that you grab a copy of my FREE 5th Grade Math Curriculum Map (it's even editable!). This will provide you with a very clear overview of the 5th grade math curriculum laid out by quarter and by week.
Top 9 Fifth Grade Math Resources for the First 9 Weeks
- Use hands-on printable and/or digital charts as well as teacher or student-led activities to practice various place value skills.
- Understanding how the value of a digit in one place compares to the value of that same digit in another place can be VERY confusing in 5th grade. This pack helps break down this skill in clear detail with helpful visual charts and detailed notes.
- This concept is best illustrated with place value charts in order to see how the digits increase or decrease in value as they're multiplied or divided by powers of 10.
- You can start off using whole numbers for these skills in the first 9 weeks and then move onto decimals in the second 9 weeks (both whole numbers and decimals are included).
- Use various strategies (standard algorithm, area models, and partial products) to reinforce multi-digit multiplication
- Teach division of whole numbers using various strategies (partial quotients, standard algorithm, mental math for multiples of 10).
- Slowly introduce each grouping symbol (parentheses, brackets, and braces) one by one as you teach your students to evaluate expressions using the order of operations.
- Use this FREE resource pack to help your students write expressions in both word and numerical form.
Let the first 9 weeks be a breeze with resources that are already created for you.
I hope you have a great first quarter!